Skip to main content

On Minuscule Spaces

But the Lord said to David my father, 'Whereas it was in your heart to build a house for my name, you did well that it was in your heart. Nevertheless, it is not you who shall build my house...'
-II Chronicles 6:8-9a          

"You did well that it was in your heart." Serving and glorifying God, while He does give a specific approach, can still be varied for every individual saved by grace. Sometimes, you get to be blessed with a task that has an easily recognizable path leading to it. Leaders taking care of the flock. Men being called to preach. To shepherd. To counsel. Women being called to motherhood. To rearing up godly offspring. To benevolent service. To playing the church piano. To counseling other women.

But most of the time, for many people, the calling is not as clear-cut and descriptive of a "job description." Washing the mugs. Scrubbing the bathroom floor. Waiting for anyone who'd ask for help. Some roles, so to speak, are too short-lived and seasonal (say, every afternoon breaks after everyone had finished their coffees) to be clear-cut of a description. So we try to grasp every little role we could get, to somehow make up for their brevity. And for people with such short-lived roles, it can be disheartening, frustrating, and hurting to have those little spaces for work cut down further. When you are kept from being involved in an activity planning. When you are told, "Kami nalang mag-uusap usap." Your little space gets smaller and smaller. Minuscule. But this is in man's eyes, man's standards. In the eyes of the Lord, one's action (and inaction) stands or falls based on his heart's intentions. 

"You did well that it was in your heart." 

Some tasks, you desire to do for the Lord as an expression of gratitude and worship for all that who He is, and for all the things He has done for you. After all, He is my Savior who was wounded for my transgressions. He emptied Himself of the glory of His deity by becoming the lowliest of mankind. He suffered pain. He was tempted and tried in every way, and He triumphed over sin every single time. He was "mocked, insulted, beaten, bound." He was denied by friends and abandoned by disciples. He, most of all, took the wrath of God, the eternal God, thrice holy and majestic, perfect and cannot behold iniquity--He took the wrath of God, and for the first and only time in history, the Father turned His back on His Son. All to save me. All to redeem a people who will be worshipers and servants to the living God.

How can one who is a recipient of so great a salvation not fervently desire to serve Him in every way possible? But we also have a God who is operating with a master plan in mind. We are but tiny pieces of the puzzle, and He gets to choose for us what our part in the grand picture will be. David wasn't the one meant to build the temple for the LORD. Solomon was. And maybe it isn't my task to "take the word to the farthest corners of the earth," or to plan the next Gen 2.0 sessions, or take part in the Singles Conference conceptualizing. And maybe for all my life, the only way I can express my love for my Savior is by washing the visitors' mugs and scrubbing the bathroom floors, and actively trying to know the brethren towards building up and mutual love; to keep on praying for individual and church revivals. Maybe I am not meant to have the clearest and most descriptive "calling" description. But so long as the Lord knows my heart's deepest desires for Him, and so long as there is space to occupy, no matter how minuscule,

I will be content to fill a little space, if through that, God is most glorified.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Salvation Testimony

[I presented this testimony earlier this year to the congregation for an evangelistic night. An evangelistic night is a vesper service modified to accommodate the sharing of the gospel to unbelievers, and one part of it is the sharing of the members' testimony of how God saved them. I was one of the first ones to share.] A friend once asked me just a few months ago for my written testimony when I applied for this church. I didn’t think there was any problem, but when I thought more about it, I realized that my testimony I wrote for the church 6 years ago is not something I could share anymore. Not because my salvation story then wasn’t true, but because a lot of God-given, life-changing lessons happened after I was saved. I guess the first thing I realized is that testimonies are always changing because God never stops writing our story. For this afternoon I would like to share who I was before I knew God, what God did to save me, and what God taught me after being saved.

Overfamiliarity Breeds Contempt

  July 8, 2021 | 11:15 AM Overfamiliarity breeds contempt. I don’t know why I feel this way, but I feel tired of being a friend and then being discarded whenever I’m not convenient to be around anymore. They don’t say it, but I think at some point everyone thinks that of me. When it’s limited slots, I’d be one of the first people to go. Excess baggage they’ve been just able to keep around the dock when the storm wasn’t hitting yet, but one of the first cargos to go when the waves become rocky. I don’t really resent them because I would also do the same to myself—throw myself out the window the moment I don’t contribute anything to the table if only I had the choice. Haha but I’m stuck with myself. But yeah, I feel like I’m that add-on friend people just befriend because anyway, I’m already there. I just happened to be in the same circle because a friend plus oned me at some point, and now they’re pretty much stuck with me. Arielle’s friend. Someone's church mate. Always s

Rediscovering Truths

[Hi. I'm Rebekah, and I have decided to use a platform different from my Tales and Rhymes blog for my more personal writings. Originally, I have decided several years ago to just maintain one blog site, which would primarily contain only my literary pieces. I've decided to take a step back from sharing what transpires in my life to the digital platform because of  several reasons. Recently, though, my life had me go through a winding roller coaster ride, and it's just full of shifts and changes. L ife has had me drowning from all the salty waves and stormy winds it throws at me—and I could hardly keep my head above the surface. But these storms teach me priceless lessons and reveal to me invaluable realizations. And so I decided to share these lessons in writing, because who knows who might benefit from them? This letter somewhat summarizes the things I have been dealing with these past few months. There are way more than the things I’ve mentioned, of course, but