Skip to main content

Scene Changes for the Past 7 Months

It doesn’t take an expert to notice that in the span of almost 7 months, the world has drastically changed. From your everyday-normal activities, it’s like the world has suddenly shut down or gone into sleep mode. Such a steep turn in history. Of course, all sectors are inevitably affected—including churches.

I could still remember March 15—several months ago, but it felt like a lifetime ever since. That week was the first implementation of the ECQ, and while SGC was able to gather as a church then, people from the south like us weren’t able to come due to border restrictions. What we all thought would be a month of non-gathering stretched on to two. Three. Seven months.

A lot has changed since the first lockdown. In our church life alone, we haven’t had physical gatherings since March; we left our church building that we’ve had for seven years. And on the individual level, the pandemic has been nothing short of a super magnifier—of the heart, the intentions, the priorities in life. It is, to say the least, such a “scene changer.” And while on the outside it may seem bleak and dreary, God’s grace has proven it otherwise to me. Indeed, I can sing with Mason,

Through all the changing scenes of life,

In trouble and in joy,

The praises of my God shall still

My heart and tongue employ.

(Mason, Through All the Changing Scenes of Life, 1832)

The Lord has proven Himself to be faithful in times past. He has proven Himself to be faithful and gracious at a time when my church had been far apart from one another for such an extended period of time. And so when we started gathering again (we met again finally last Sunday!), the phrase “through all the changing scenes of life” kept playing in my mind.

Life, indeed, has so many changing scenes. Sometimes, I even feel like the transitions are so quick that they blur the images before me. But as sure as the change of time and tide, even surer is my loving “Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change” (James 1:7). It is this same God who upheld us “when we asunder part” who will make us grow in grace together all the more as we begin to meet again.

Through all the changing scenes of the past seven months, God indeed has been faithful. And my heart is so, so full. 


To more physical gatherings ahead of us.


First Lord's Supper after seven months! I can't be grateful enough for this means of grace.

Hehe, featuring Ate Babes and her sponsored "foot bath." You get to disinfect there first before stepping into the open-air hall.

Distanced physically, but not in heart. (Nax)

I got to "play" for the congregational singing, but only the mp3 recordings. Hehe. It's the closest I can get to playing the piano for church, I guess.

"The LORD has done great things for us; we are glad." (Psa. 126:3)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Salvation Testimony

[I presented this testimony earlier this year to the congregation for an evangelistic night. An evangelistic night is a vesper service modified to accommodate the sharing of the gospel to unbelievers, and one part of it is the sharing of the members' testimony of how God saved them. I was one of the first ones to share.] A friend once asked me just a few months ago for my written testimony when I applied for this church. I didn’t think there was any problem, but when I thought more about it, I realized that my testimony I wrote for the church 6 years ago is not something I could share anymore. Not because my salvation story then wasn’t true, but because a lot of God-given, life-changing lessons happened after I was saved. I guess the first thing I realized is that testimonies are always changing because God never stops writing our story. For this afternoon I would like to share who I was before I knew God, what God did to save me, and what God taught me after being saved.

Overfamiliarity Breeds Contempt

  July 8, 2021 | 11:15 AM Overfamiliarity breeds contempt. I don’t know why I feel this way, but I feel tired of being a friend and then being discarded whenever I’m not convenient to be around anymore. They don’t say it, but I think at some point everyone thinks that of me. When it’s limited slots, I’d be one of the first people to go. Excess baggage they’ve been just able to keep around the dock when the storm wasn’t hitting yet, but one of the first cargos to go when the waves become rocky. I don’t really resent them because I would also do the same to myself—throw myself out the window the moment I don’t contribute anything to the table if only I had the choice. Haha but I’m stuck with myself. But yeah, I feel like I’m that add-on friend people just befriend because anyway, I’m already there. I just happened to be in the same circle because a friend plus oned me at some point, and now they’re pretty much stuck with me. Arielle’s friend. Someone's church mate. Always s

Rediscovering Truths

[Hi. I'm Rebekah, and I have decided to use a platform different from my Tales and Rhymes blog for my more personal writings. Originally, I have decided several years ago to just maintain one blog site, which would primarily contain only my literary pieces. I've decided to take a step back from sharing what transpires in my life to the digital platform because of  several reasons. Recently, though, my life had me go through a winding roller coaster ride, and it's just full of shifts and changes. L ife has had me drowning from all the salty waves and stormy winds it throws at me—and I could hardly keep my head above the surface. But these storms teach me priceless lessons and reveal to me invaluable realizations. And so I decided to share these lessons in writing, because who knows who might benefit from them? This letter somewhat summarizes the things I have been dealing with these past few months. There are way more than the things I’ve mentioned, of course, but