Skip to main content

Faithfulness in the Lens of Genesis 24



   Faithfulness is denotatively defined as the quality of being steadfast in affection or allegiance; to be firm in adherence to promises or in observance of duty; to be true to the facts, to a standard, or to an original. (Merriam-Webster’s Dictionary, n.d.) This term nowadays usually has the connotation of simply staying consistent with what one has originally said. Faithfulness, however, is not simply staying true. The word faithfulness is derived from the Hebrew word ‘e-meth—a word contracted from the Hebrew word ‘âman, which means to build up or support; figuratively, to render firm, to be permanent, or quiet.  Being faithful, then, according to its Hebrew origin, is about one’s trustworthiness. To be a faithful person is to have certainty in truth. In the Scripture, the word “faithfulness” appeared 75 times, with “faithful” appearing just about as much—78 times. If one searches for all the occurrences of the word ‘emeth in the original translation, one would see that there are a total of 125 instances the word is used throughout the Old and New Testaments. Such a significant number of occurrences can only mean one thing: the idea of faithfulness is significant, if not crucial.

But how does the Bible really defines faithfulness? How is it characterized and described? Perhaps the first instance that it was used can shed some light on the matter. In Genesis 24, the Bible tells us of how Isaac and Rebekah met and ended up getting married. This chapter narrates the story of how Abraham, when he was old and advanced in years, instructed the oldest servant to not get a Canaanite woman for Isaac as his wife, but to go back to his kindred and get a wife for Isaac there. The following verses narrate how the LORD has greatly prospered the servant’s endeavor and led him to Rebekah. In verses 26-27, it says, “The man bowed his head and worshipped the LORD and said, ‘Blessed be the LORD, the God of my master Abraham, who has not forsaken his steadfast love and his faithfulness toward my master. As for me, the LORD has led me in the way to the house of my master’s kinsmen.’” (ESV) There you have the word. Faithfulness. What can one learn from this story about what faithfulness really is? Defining faithfulness through the context of Abraham’s life, this article will look into how faithfulness is an undeniable character of God, an evident trait of God’s people, and an uncompromising attitude toward God’s word.

As made very apparent in the story, faithfulness is first and foremost an undeniable character of God. Notice how the chapter started with a strong statement. “Now Abraham was old, well advanced in years. And the LORD had blessed Abraham in all things. (v. 1) The verse does not just say God has been faithful in Abraham’s life milestones. It does not say God has blessed Abraham if and when Abraham is perfectly obedient. The LORD has blessed Abraham in all things. All encompasses everything. Abraham has lived many years under the constant blessing of the LORD in all things, in all aspects. This fact is the perfect description of faithfulness. From calling Abraham out of the city of Ur, to his journey to Canaan, to his days of sojourning there, to his ultimate test of having to sacrifice his son, to all of the things that transpired after—God has blessed him, nonstop, in all things. That is faithfulness. That is an undeniable character of God. It is no little thing also to notice that the very first instance that the word faithfulness occurred in the Bible refers to the LORD’s faithfulness. He has “not forsaken his steadfast love and faithfulness to [Abraham].” (v. 27) It rightly points us to the ultimate standard and measure of what “staying true” really means—to be faithful is to be like God, to be constant and true in your showing of love and mercy, according to His standard. God’s faithfulness follows His people all the days of their lives, simply because He chose to do so; because faithful is who He is.
Abraham’s story, secondly, also clearly indicates that faithfulness is an evident trait of God’s people. Being recipient to the constant showers of blessing and mercy, Abraham throughout his entire life has learned that the only right response to God’s faithfulness is faithfulness back to Him. As he approaches his death because of old age, Abraham sees to it that he still remains faithful and true to the LORD, as made evident in these verses:

And Abraham said to his servant, the oldest of his household, who had charge of all he had, “Put your hand under my thigh, that I may make you swear by the LORD, the God of heaven and God of earth, that you will not take a wife for my son from the daughters of the Canaanites, among whom I dwell…” (v. 2-3)

A few chapters and years back, one would see that Abraham’s dispositions were completely different. He would lie if he thinks telling the truth would threaten his life (Gen. 12; Gen. 20); he would resort to schemes not approved by God if he thinks that an unapproved way can get him the blessings God promised him (Gen. 16). God’s faithfulness to Abraham all those years, however, taught Abraham the right response. God’s steadfast love and unceasing mercies and blessings taught Abraham’s heart to remain wholly true to what the LORD revealed to be His will. The result? At the end of his life, after all the lessons and the revelations of who God is—that He is faithful and steadfast, and gives fresh mercies every morning—Abraham is now very determined to hold on to His promises and to keep His statutes. Knowing the evilness of the people of Canaan, Abraham insisted on not be tainted by the foreign land’s evil and seeks to protect his son from the imminent dangers of an evil company as well. Nothing is more intimate and influential of a company than that of one’s spouse, and Abraham sees to it that such a vital part of his son’s life will be faithful to the LORD. His servant, likewise, displays such faithfulness to God when he entreats the favor of God in his expedition, knowing that his efforts can prosper only if it stays true to the will of God.  And he said, “O LORD, God of my master Abraham, please grant me success today and show steadfast love to my master Abraham.” (v.12) Faithfulness is an evident trait of His people. Because God is faithful in showing His steadfast love and undeserved mercies, man’s only right response is faithfulness to Him and to seeking His face and favor.

                Consequently, yet another thing to be gleaned from the story is that faithfulness is an uncompromising attitude of God’s people toward His word. Abraham portrays this attitude when he was giving instructions to his servant in the following verses:

The servant said to him, “Perhaps the woman may not be willing to follow me to this land. Must I then take your son back to the land from which you came?” Abraham said to him, “See to it that you do not take my son back there. The Lord, the God of heaven, who took me from my father's house and from the land of my kindred, and who spoke to me and swore to me, ‘To your offspring, I will give this land,’ he will send his angel before you, and you shall take a wife for my son from there. But if the woman is not willing to follow you, then you will be free from this oath of mine; only you must not take my son back there.” (vv. 5-8)

God has explicitly told Abraham to “Go from your country and your kindred and your father’s house to the land that I will show you” (Gen. 12:1), which in time God revealed to be the land of Canaan. Leaving the land and going back to Ur would mean doing the opposite of what God wants. This idea is something Abraham would not even consider doing. Through his discernment, he knows that it is best to find a wife for Isaac from among his kindred; but this discernment never takes the higher authority than what God has explicitly revealed to be His will—for Abraham and his offspring to be in Canaan. If carrying out his discernment would mean straying from God’s word, Abraham would not have any of it. This picture is a portrayal of faithfulness. To be faithful is to abide by God’s word, no matter the consequences, no matter your prior discernment.

                Right at the first instance that it was used, one can already glean that faithfulness goes beyond the usual connotation of simply being consistent. What most people today do not realize is that to be rendered faithful would require certain prerequisites. Firstly, because faithfulness is an innate character of God, the faithfulness of man is God-given; therefore, without the saving knowledge and experiential encounter of God, no one can be faithful. One who thinks he is faithful in all the things he does but who also cannot say that he is bowing down to God’s rule is not really faithful. He may have appearances of faithfulness, but without God’s grace, the best that he can do is to keep up with his pretenses until God Himself reveals his heart’s true condition. Subsequently, faithfulness is expected of God’s people; thus, if you are saved, then you are faithful. God’s grace is given to those whom He saves, and His faithfulness and steadfast love would cause faithfulness to grow in you. If you are not faithful, or if you have your areas of inconsistencies, then you are either not of Him, or you lack in experiential knowledge of who God is. Lastly, what we can glean from the story of Abraham and his servant is that faithfulness is having consistent, uncompromising regard for God’s word. No one can claim that he is faithful if he regards the word of God ever so lightly. No one can declare himself faithful if he does not treat God’s revealed will as the ultimate, deciding factor in all of his life’s decisions—whether it be as seemingly insignificant as choosing what to eat, or as vital as choosing a spouse. God’s word is the standard and measurement of faithfulness. If one does not adhere to it, that person cannot be deemed faithful.

                It has often been told that faithfulness is a vital part of all success in life, which is true. What people miss out on most of the time, however, is that faithfulness can come only from God, who is the embodiment of faithfulness. Too often, a man tries so hard to do things right without God’s grace to uphold him. Abraham’s story tells us otherwise. This story tells us that faithfulness is a gift God gives to whomever He pleases, and, ultimately, it is His grace that grants this trait to His people.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Salvation Testimony

[I presented this testimony earlier this year to the congregation for an evangelistic night. An evangelistic night is a vesper service modified to accommodate the sharing of the gospel to unbelievers, and one part of it is the sharing of the members' testimony of how God saved them. I was one of the first ones to share.] A friend once asked me just a few months ago for my written testimony when I applied for this church. I didn’t think there was any problem, but when I thought more about it, I realized that my testimony I wrote for the church 6 years ago is not something I could share anymore. Not because my salvation story then wasn’t true, but because a lot of God-given, life-changing lessons happened after I was saved. I guess the first thing I realized is that testimonies are always changing because God never stops writing our story. For this afternoon I would like to share who I was before I knew God, what God did to save me, and what God taught me after being saved.

Overfamiliarity Breeds Contempt

  July 8, 2021 | 11:15 AM Overfamiliarity breeds contempt. I don’t know why I feel this way, but I feel tired of being a friend and then being discarded whenever I’m not convenient to be around anymore. They don’t say it, but I think at some point everyone thinks that of me. When it’s limited slots, I’d be one of the first people to go. Excess baggage they’ve been just able to keep around the dock when the storm wasn’t hitting yet, but one of the first cargos to go when the waves become rocky. I don’t really resent them because I would also do the same to myself—throw myself out the window the moment I don’t contribute anything to the table if only I had the choice. Haha but I’m stuck with myself. But yeah, I feel like I’m that add-on friend people just befriend because anyway, I’m already there. I just happened to be in the same circle because a friend plus oned me at some point, and now they’re pretty much stuck with me. Arielle’s friend. Someone's church mate. Always s

Rediscovering Truths

[Hi. I'm Rebekah, and I have decided to use a platform different from my Tales and Rhymes blog for my more personal writings. Originally, I have decided several years ago to just maintain one blog site, which would primarily contain only my literary pieces. I've decided to take a step back from sharing what transpires in my life to the digital platform because of  several reasons. Recently, though, my life had me go through a winding roller coaster ride, and it's just full of shifts and changes. L ife has had me drowning from all the salty waves and stormy winds it throws at me—and I could hardly keep my head above the surface. But these storms teach me priceless lessons and reveal to me invaluable realizations. And so I decided to share these lessons in writing, because who knows who might benefit from them? This letter somewhat summarizes the things I have been dealing with these past few months. There are way more than the things I’ve mentioned, of course, but